Who We Are: The Tennessee Cancer Consortium is a statewide non-profit organization with over 300 volunteers.
Our Mission: To reduce the impact of ALL cancers on ALL people in Tennessee through education, research, advocacy, service, collaboration, and networking.
Our History: In the summer of 2015, our grassroots volunteers voted to become a 501c3. We were excited to receive our federal designation in December of the same year.
Priorities: The Consortium’s priorities align with those established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, following their established program/activity models and educational materials. The shared priorities include:
- Emphasizing primary prevention of cancer—stopping cancer before it starts. Primary prevention includes encouraging people to make healthy choices such as not smoking or by quitting smoking, eating a healthy diet, and keeping a healthy weight.
- Helping people find cancer early by getting screened as recommended.
- Supporting people who have been diagnosed with cancer through treatment and beyond.
- Helping put policies in place to make sure cancer control measures are there for places that need it most.
- Promoting access to quality health care for all people, including those in communities with a higher burden of cancer. This includes making sure that people experience health care that respects and incorporates a person’s or community’s unique cultural traditions.
- Evaluating policies and programs to see if they work well.
Relationship with the State Comprehensive Cancer Program Staff – The Consortium Board of Directors met with the State of TN Comprehensive Cancer Program Staff in 2015 to began creating a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in anticipation of the upcoming 501c3. Board members met again with the new Program Manager in January of 2016 with the below draft MOU. We are hopeful that there will be a positive collaborative relationship established in the very near future – working together to benefit the citizens of Tennessee. Click on the link below to view the draft MOU.